Stone is an investment, and therefore, should be treated with care to ensure it has a beautiful, long life in your home. Though all stones have different strengths and weaknesses, there are a few general maintenance tips to ensure you get the longest use out of them, no matter where they exist in your home. The best way to guarantee that is to use proper techniques and products for cleaning.
- Use coasters on all stone tableware
- Immediately pick up spills; blot, don’t wipe
- Use cutting boards, not your stone surface
- Don’t leave acidic foods (lemons, tomatoes, etc.) on marble
- Don’t place hot pots or pans directly on marble countertops
- Dusting stone is an easy way to prevent build-up
- After using cleaning products, make sure to dry the area with a cloth or squeegee
- Always use a soft cloth, like microfiber
- Never use products that contain acids as they could dull stone
- Lemon and vinegar products can also speed up the aging process of stone
If you are ever unsure about a product, you can call Synergy Granite to ask about our professional opinions and experience with all stone cleaning products.