Pros & Cons of Silestone Vs. Granite
When considering silestone or granite countertops it can be challenging to determine which to choose. Here are some of the leading pros and cons to help you decided which is best for you.
• Extremely durable: The quartz in silestone is at least 90% natural, making it one of the hardest materials found in nature. Its strength makes it less likely to chip and/or crack.
• Scratch resistant: Dishes and trivets sliding across the countertops will not scratch silestone
• Stain Resistant: Unlike granite, silestone does not need to be sealed to keep its shine and it is non-porous. This naturally prevents liquids from staining the surface.
• Large Color Variety: Silestone is available in a wide variety of over 50 stunning colors. Although silestone is an engineered stone, it looks like natural stone.
• Easy To Clean: Since silestone is naturally non-porous, it is easier to clean and keep clean than granite.
• Scorch Resistant: Silestone can withstand exposure to heat without scorching or burning. However excessive heat from hot items and cookers (such as a crock pot) can cause damage. Using trivets can prevent damage from heat.
• Beauty: There is no doubt that the natural shine and colors of granite ads beauty and elegance to any home
• Large color variety: Granite comes in a range of almost 3,000 different colors.
• Unique: No two slabs of granite are exactly the same so it provides an elegant, yet unique look to your home
• Sustainable & Permanent: Granite can last a lifetime when properly taken care of. Therefore, if you plan on renovating again, granite can be difficult to remove.
• Scratch, stain, & heat resistant: Granite is porous. Therefore, it is only scratch, stain and heat resistant if it is sealed. If sealed, granite is extremely durable and low-maintenance. You can even set warm/hot pans on it without it cracking or scorching. However, granite is also expensive because it requires resealing about once a year.
• No depreciation: Granite does not depreciate so it will add value to your home.