If you have invested in marble or granite for your countertops, then you certainly want to take the steps necessary to properly maintain them. While they are known for their stunning appearance, they do require special cleaning, which is not difficult or time consuming.
Seal your Stone
Stones are porous and easily absorb liquids they come in contact with. We recommend you have your countertops sealed at installation. Use high-end sealers, preferably those designed for your particular stone. It should be noted that some marble isn’t intended to be sealed so it is best to check with the manufacturer.
Take preventive measures
- Use coasters under glasses, especially if they contain alcohol or citrus juices
- Use placemats to prevent scratching
- Use trivets, mats or hot pads under hot dishes, cookware or any container full of liquids
- Dust frequently with a soft cloth or sponge and neutral cleaners designed for stone.
- Don’t use generic, cut-rate cleaning products. Many contain ingredients that will scratch and degrade your countertops. Protect your surfaces with high-grade products only.
- Blot up spills immediately to minimize permanent damage to your stone and clean all countertops after cooking to get rid of any oils etc.
- Don’t use vinegar, bleach, ammonia, and other general purpose cleaners on your stone surfaces. They can dull their shine and cause permanent damage.
- Don’t use any abrasive cleaners or pads. They can cause permanent scratches to your stone surface.
Stone surfaces are designed to last a lifetime so contact your us if you have any questions to help you maintain the “like new” look of your stone.